Dear Benchmark Books customers,
We are excited to celebrate our 25th anniversary in business this year. It seems impossible to believe that I have been in the book business for nearly four decades and have had my own bookstore for a quarter-century. This is our 58th catalog issued to date. Without you, our book-reading and collecting customers, none of this would have been possible. We are very grateful for you, your patronage, loyalty, and friendship.
I’m also personally grateful for the thoughts, prayers, fasting, and expressions of support from so many of you as I had my second major open-heart surgery in October. I’m thankful to be alive and recovering. It’s been a rough road, but one made smoother by the compassion and friendship of too many individuals to number or name.
Please look through this plentiful offering of books and documents gathered over a long period of time and brought together for this holiday catalog. We’re confident you will find something of interest and worth.
This is the first time we have offered a functional version of a catalog on our website with images for each item. Please click on any images of interest to see a larger version. We will indicate the items as they sell each day here on the website. We encourage you–if you haven’t done so already–to explore our site and subscribe to our blog so we can keep you informed of future new book releases, author signings, and sales. The sign-up box is found on the far right of our home page. For example, we plan on posting a few additional items in the next few days–make sure you sign up so that you will be notified when we do so.
Please accept our gratitude for your business and friendship and our wishes for a happy holiday season and prosperous New Year.
With best wishes,
Curt Bench, owner
All items subject to prior sale. All items guaranteed as described and may be returned within 10 days provided immediate notice is given. Advance payment is required (cash, check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), except from libraries and dealers with whom we have a reciprocal arrangement. Dealer discounts given on a reciprocal basis, with some items exempt because they are consignments, etc. Postage and insurance are extra and will be determined on a per order basis. Inquire for details and shipping options. Utah residents please add 7.05% sales tax. Thank you.
3269 S. Main St., Ste. 250
Salt Lake City UT 84115
PHONE: (801) 486-3111 FAX: (801) 486-3452
TOLL-FREE PHONE ORDERS: 800-486-3112
1. Allen, James B. TRIALS OF DISCIPLESHIP: THE STORY OF WILLIAM CLAYTON, A MORMON. Urbana, 1987. 1st ed., 383 p., cloth, d.j., two inscriptions, o/w v.g.+. Signed by the author. Reg $35, SALE $27.99
2. Anderson, Lavina Fielding, ed. LUCY’S BOOK: A CRITICAL EDITION OF LUCY MACK SMITH’S FAMILY MEMOIR. Salt Lake, 2001. 1st ed., 946 p., cloth, index, frontis. port., maps, near fine in d.j. w/ a folded corner and clipped corner. Nice copy signed by the ed.
Reg $150, SALE $119.99 SOLD
3. Arrington, Leonard J. ADVENTURES OF A CHURCH HISTORIAN. Urbana, 1998. 1st ed., 249 p., cloth, index, photos, near fine. Reg $75, SALE $59.99
4. Arrington, Leonard J. and Davis Bitton. THE MORMON EXPERIENCE: A HISTORY OF THE LATTER-DAY SAINTS. New York, 1979. 1st ed., 400 p., cloth, index, v.g. in d.j. that shows some wear. Signed by both authors. Reg $40, SALE $31.99
5. Backman, Milton V., comp. A PROFILE OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS OF KIRTLAND, OHIO, AND MEMBERS OF ZION’S CAMP 1830-1839. VITAL STATISTICS AND SOURCES. Provo, 1982. 1st ed., 166 p., orig. dec. wrps., illus., maps, oversize format, v.g. Scarce. Lesser-known resource with details on members of Zion’s Camp.
Reg $50, SALE $39.99 SOLD
6. Bateman, Ronald R. DEEP CREEK REFLECTIONS: 125 YEARS OF SETTLEMENT AT IBAPAH, UTAH 1859-1984. Salt Lake, 1991. 2nd ed., 504 p., cloth, photos, ports., maps, near fine. Signed by the author. Scarce. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
7. (Bertoch, James) . . . MISSIONARY JOURNAL AND LETTERS TO HIS FAMILY, JUNE 22, 1892 TO MARCH 25, 1893. Salt Lake, 2004. 49 p., orig. full black lea. binding with gilt tile and fancy endsheets, index, frontis., photos, ports, ltd. (13/20 bound in full lea.), fine condition in matching lea. clam shell box. Bertoch was an early convert from Italy who returned to his homeland in the early 1890s as a missionary. Reg $450, SALE $404.99
8. (Book of Mormon) THE FIRST MORMON BOOK: A CELEBRATION OF THE 1830 BOOK OF MORMON WITH AN ORIGINAL LEAF. Salt Lake, 2000. 1st ltd. premiere ed. (11/15), 26 p., orig. full black calf, enclosed in a clamshell box with gold and black Japanese bookcloth, hand-marbled endsheets, fine. Minor rubbing to top edge of rear cover. This work contains a leaf from the 1830 printing of the Book of Mormon which includes Alma 41:8-Alma 42:15 – “Wickedness never was happiness….” It was printed letterpress from photopolymer plates by Robert Buchert, who also cut the wood engraving of the Smith Patented Improved Press – or “acorn press,” which was used to print the original Book of Mormon. The acorn ornament, placed at the end of each section of text, reflects the Smith press. Each book contains an impression of an original wood engraving. The handmade text paper, printed damp, is Alcantara from Sicily. The entire edition was bound and boxed at the Campbell-Logan Bindery. Printing was completed under the direction of the Red Butte Press, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah, in the summer of 2000. Reg $5000, SALE $4499.99
9. As above. 1st ltd. deluxe edition (34/45), orig. flecked blue Japanese bookcloth with quarter black calf and housed in a clamshell box with matching cloth, fine. Contains an 1830 Book of Mormon leaf including Mos. 17:13 – Mos. 18:17 – “Waters of Mormon.” Reg $2500, SALE $1999.99
10. As above. 1st ltd. standard edition (126/230), orig. flecked blue Japanese bookcloth and presented in a matching slipcase, fine. Contains an 1830 Book of Mormon leaf including Mosiah 15:9 – Mosiah 16:3 – “How beautiful upon the mountains…. “ Reg $950, SALE $854.99
11. Brooks, Juanita. GEORGE BROOKS, ARTIST IN STONE. N.p., 1963. 1st ed., 146 p., cloth, oversize format, index, facs., photos, v.g. in d.j. that shows some chipping and rubbing. Inscribed and signed by the author. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
12. As above. D.j. has minor chips. Not signed by the author. Reg $125, SALE $99.99
13. Brooks, Juanita. THE MOUNTAIN MEADOWS MASSACRE. Stanford, 1950. 1st ed., 243 p., cloth, index, map endsheets, covers very lt. soiled, ft. hinge cracked, v.g. Signed by the author. Classic history of the infamous 1857 massacre in Southern Utah. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
14. Brown, Lisle G., comp. NAUVOO SEALINGS, ADOPTIONS, AND ANOINTINGS: A COMPREHENSIVE REGISTER OF PERSONS RECEIVING L.D.S. TEMPLE ORDINANCES, 1841-1846. Salt Lake, 2006. 1st ltd. ed. (142/175), 395 p., cloth, index, oversize format, fine.
15. (Bullock, Thomas) THE PIONEER CAMP OF THE SAINTS: THE 1846 AND 1847 MORMON TRAIL JOURNALS OF . . . (Will Bagley, ed.). Spokane, 1997. 1st trade ed., 393 p., cloth, frontis., port., d.j., near fine. Folding map in rear pocket. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
16. (Bullock, Thomas) . . . NAUVOO JOURNAL (Greg R. Knight, ed). Orem, 1994. 1st ltd. ed. (10/500), 101 p., cloth, index, limitation bookplate, ribbon bookmark, near fine. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
17. Burton, Richard F. THE CITY OF THE SAINTS, AND ACROSS THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS TO CALIFORNIA. New York, 1862. 1st American ed., 574 p. + ads., orig. embossed cloth, index, frontis., illus., folding maps, edges show a bit of wear, esp. at corners, spine crown flat, overall v.g. Flake-Draper 1027, Wagner-Camp 370:2; Howes B-1033; Scallawagiana 100:58. One of the most important early historical works on Utah and the Mormons. Reg $1,000, SALE $799.99
18. (B.Y.U.) DEDICATION: TO JUSTICE, TO EXCELLENCE, TO RESPONSIBILITY. PROCEEDINGS AT THE CONVOCATION AND DEDICATION OF THE J. REUBEN CLARK COLLEGE OF LAW . . . . Provo, 1975. 1st ed., 89 p., embossed stiff wrps., frontis., photos, port., v.g.
19. Cannon, George Q. THE LIFE OF JOSEPH SMITH, THE PROPHET. Salt Lake, 1888. 1st ed., 512 p., orig. full lea. w/ dec. gilt on front cover and spine, ports., fancy endsheets, (o.n. which unfortunately appears several times, including on the reverse of both the plates of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, with some bleeding of the ink, and the t.p.), o/w v.g. Flake-Draper 1161. This is a mostly gorgeous copy of this important bio. w/ a fabulous gilt printing device on the ft. cover and an especially clean interior.
20. Cannon, George Q. WRITINGS FROM THE “WESTERN STANDARD,” PUBLISHED IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA. Liverpool, 1864. 1st ed., 512 p., orig. full lea. w/ raised bands and marbled endsheets and matching marbled foredge, evidence of moisture staining to front and rear boards, rear board nearly detached, bookplate, o.n., some edge wear and scuffing, one corner worn, minor highlighting, overall good. Gift inscription on front free endpaper dated Dec. 24, 1886, by J(esse) W(illiams) Fox, Jun. and Thomas Butler. Fox’s first wife was Ruth May Fox, early LDS woman’s suffragist and president of YLMIA. Flake-Draper 1174. Reg $400, SALE $319.99
21. As above. Orig. ¾ lea. w/ gilt title on spine, minor edge wear and mottling, overall near v.g. Reg $500, SALE $399.99
22. Carter, Kate B., comp. HEART THROBS OF THE WEST, VOL. 5. 1st ed., 554 p., cloth, index, photos, ports., sl. cocked, o/w near fine. Uncommon; beautiful copy! Reg $100, SALE $79.99
23. Christensen, Scott R. SAGWITCH: SHOSHONE CHIEFTAIN, MORMON ELDER 1822-1887. Logan, 2000. 1st ed., 254 p., full lea. binding w/ embossing, gilt, raised bands, hand marbled endsheets, and a.e.g., index, frontis., photos, maps, fine. #27 of 100 issued. Signed and dated by the author. Reg
$200, SALE $159.99 SOLD
24. (Church College of Hawaii) CHURCH COLLEGE OF HAWAII AND ITS BUILDERS. Laie, 1958. No pagination (contains just over 100 pages), cloth, photos, portraits, oversize format, related materials (news-clippings, etc.), laid in. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
25. (Church College of Hawaii) NA HOA PONO. Laie, 1957. 100 pages, cloth, photos, ports., v.g. Church College yearbook. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
26. (Clark, J. Reuben) . . . SELECTED PAPERS ON AMERICANISM AND NATIONAL AFFAIRS. Provo, 1987. 1st ed., 615 p., cloth, index, d.j., frontis. port., ft. endsheet creased, d.j. spine has lt. scrapes, o/w near fine. Fifth of a multi-vol. set. Hard-to-find title. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
27. Cook, Lyndon W., ed. DAVID WHITMER INTERVIEWS: A RESTORATION WITNESS. Orem, 1991. 1st ed., 276 p., cloth, index, photos, d.j., v.g.+.
Reg $150, SALE $119.99 SOLD
28. Cook, Lyndon W. JOSEPH SMITH AND THE LAW OF CONSECRATION. Provo, 1985. 1st ed., 99 p., cloth, index, port., d.j., near fine.
Reg $60, SALE $47.99 SOLD
29. Cook, Lyndon W. NAUVOO DEATHS AND MARRIAGES 1839-1845. Orem, 1994. 1st ed., 145 p., cloth, index, d.j., near fine.
30. Cook, Lyndon W. NAUVOO MARRIAGES, PROXY SEALINGS 1843-1846. Provo, 2004. 1st ed., 228 p., orig. full black lea. binding w/ raised bands and decorative endsheets, ltd. ed. although unnumbered – probably 25 or less, index, near fine. Reg $450, SALE $359.99
31. Cowles, LeRoy E. THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH AND WORLD WAR II. Salt Lake, 1949. 1st ed., 236 p., index, frontis., photos, ports., d.j., v.g. Reg $40, SALE $31.99
32. Cowley, Matthias F. COWLEY’S TALKS ON DOCTRINE (Ben Rich, pub.). Chattanooga, 1902. 1st ed., 187 p., cloth, index, port., covers show some wear, o.n. (2), near v.g. Flake 2556.
Reg $45, SALE $35.99 SOLD
33. Cowley, Matthias F. PROPHETS AND PATRIARCHS OF THE CHURCH . . . . (Ben Rich, pub.). Chattanooga, 1902. 1st ed., 318 p., cloth, ports., covers are worn and splotched, lacks f.f.e.p., ft. hinge cracked, near good. Flake-Draper 2562.
Reg $35, SALE $27.99 SOLD
34. Cowley, Matthias F. PROPHETS AND PATRIARCHS OF THE CHURCH . . . and COWLEY’S TALKS ON DOCTRINE (Ben Rich, pub.). Chattanooga, 1902. 1st ed., 505 p., green dec. cloth, ports., o.n. (several, signed and stamped, on front endsheets), sl. cocked, sm. tear to cloth at top of ext. hinge, sl. crease on ft. bd., hinges tender, near v.g. Flake-Draper 2563.
35. As above. Two corners bumped, sm. bookplate, o.n., underlining, o/w v.g. The gilt is bright on the spine and the ext. is nicer than usual for this book. Reg $75, SALE $59.99
36. Cowley, Matthias F. WILFORD WOODRUFF, FOURTH PRESIDENT OF THE CHURCH . . . . , HISTORY OF HIS LIFE AND LABORS AS RECORDED IN HIS DAILY JOURNALS. Salt Lake, 1909. 1st ed., 702 p., dec. cloth, index, frontis., photos, edge wear, o.n., ft. hinge tender, near v.g. Flake-Draper 10,000.
Reg $190, SALE $151.99 SOLD
37. Crawley, Peter. A DESCRIPTIVE BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE MORMON CHURCH, VOLUME ONE 1830-1847. Provo, 1997. 1st ed., 477 p., cloth, index, photos, d.j., as new, signed. Reg $150, SALE $144.99
38. As above. VOLUME TWO 1848-1852. Provo, 2005. As new, signed. Reg. Price $65.00 – SALE PRICE $49.99
39. As above. VOLUME THREE 1853-1857. Provo, 2012. As new, signed. The intricate history of the publication of each title (book, pamphlet, circular, etc) is accompanied by contextual history, biographical information on authors and variant bindings/editions. Also included is an addendum of fifteen entries that came to light after the publication of the first two volumes. Reg $54.95, SALE $49.50
40. Culmsee, Carlton. UTAH’S BLACK HAWK WAR: LORE AND REMINISCENCES OF PARTICIPANTS. Logan, 1973. 1st ed.,181 p., cloth, index, near fine. Nice copy! Reg $50, SALE $39.99
41. Dalton, Luella Adams, comp. HISTORY OF THE IRON COUNTY MISSION PAROWAN, UTAH. N.p., n.d. 474 p., printed wrps., index, photos, ports., illus, very minor highlighting, o/w v.g. Reg $30, SALE $23.99
42. Day, Robert O. THE MORMON BATTALION, THE LORD’S FAITHFUL. Oviedo, 1997. 2nd prtg., 347 p., oversize format, printed wrps., illus., maps, v.g. $
43. DeMille, Janice Force. THE ST. GEORGE TEMPLE: FIRST 100 YEARS. St. George, 1977. 1st ed., 431 p., orig. faux lea. binding w/ gilt dec., photos, ports., illus., v.g. Reg $65, SALE $51.99
44. (Deseret Alphabet) THE BOOK OF MORMON. New York, 1869. 1st ed., 443 p., cloth, gilt title and temple motif on spine, bookplate, minor staining to covers and fading to spine o/w v.g.+. This is a much-nicer-than-average copy of this scarce and important work, with no edge wear, straight corners, and little wear. Many copies of the full Book of Mormon in the exotic Deseret Alphabet show water staining and/or significant wear: this copy is especially clean, particularly the interior.
45. (Deseret Alphabet) THE BOOK OF MORMON . . . PART I. New York, 1869. 1st ed., 116 p., orig. printed lt. blue bds. with lea. back-strip., minor edge wear and rubbing, v.g. Flake-Draper 608. Nice gilt beehive and title on spine.
46. (Deseret Alphabet) THE DESERET FIRST BOOK. Salt Lake, 1868. 1st ed., 36 p., orig. printed salmon bds. w/ cloth back-strip, illus., some edge wear, esp. at corners, minor soiling, overall v.g. Flake-Draper 2817. The Board of Regents of the University of Deseret appointed a committee to work out system of orthography and prepare a school book in new character—known as the Deseret Alphabet. Four books were printed in this alphabet. Reg $250, SALE $199.99
47. (Deseret Alphabet) THE DESERET SECOND BOOK. Salt Lake, 1868. 1st ed., 72 p. + errata, orig. printed off-white bds. w/ cloth back-strip, illus., very minor edge wear, last couple of leaves and rear pastedown show water-staining, a few spots on the rear bd., overall v.g. Flake-Draper 2818. Scarce with the errata slip. Reg $225, SALE $179.99
48. (Deseret Book) TEACHINGS OF THE LATTER-DAY PROPHETS COLLECTOR’S SET. Full brown leather, individually numbered and features satin endsheets with all edges gilt. Set #30 of 87. The set consists of the following titles: The Teachings of Joseph Smith, Discourses of Brigham Young, The Gospel Kingdom: Selections from the Writings and Discourses of John Taylor, The Discourses of Wilford Woodruff, The Teachings of Lorenzo Snow, Gospel Doctrine: Selections from the Sermons and Writings of Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Standards: Selections from the Sermons and Writings of Heber J. Grant, The Teachings of George Albert Smith, Gospel Ideals: Selections from the Discourses of David O. McKay, Doctrines of Salvation: Sermons and Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith, The Teachings of Harold B. Lee, The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, The Teachings of Howard W. Kimball, The Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley, and Index to the Teachings of the Latter-day Prophets. Reg $1500, SALE $1349.99
49. As above. 1 of 9 unnumbered sets not selected to be in the numbered edition. Several volumes have scratches or small holes in the leather and rubbing to the gilt. Reg $1000, SALE $799.99
50. As above. Red leatherette bindings with gilt decoration, a.e.g., fancy endsheets, and a limitation sticker (1420/1925). They are generally in near fine condition. Reg $450, SALE $359.99
51. . . . DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS OF THE CHURCH . . . ; SELECTED FROM THE REVELATIONS OF GOD. BY JOSEPH SMITH, PRESIDENT. Liverpool, 1869. 336 p., orig. full tooled lea., w/ single gilt ruled line border to front and rear covers with small diamond design blindstamping; title in gilt on spine along with 7 double gilt line bands and a floral blind stamped design in each panel, a.e.g., o.n. (3), lt. water staining along top of f.f.e.p., minor writing, last 3 leaves were stuck together at the right margin; now separated they show some effect of the adhesive, with a few words of text impacted, o/w v.g. Flake-Draper 2869. This is o/w a nice copy of a very scarce ed. $
52. (Doctrine and Covenants) THE . . . , CONTAINING REVELATIONS GIVEN TO JOSEPH SMITH, JR., THE PROPHET, WITH AN INTRODUCTION AND HISTORICAL AND EXEGETICAL NOTES BY HYRUM M. SMITH, OR THE COUNCIL OF THE TWELVE. Liverpool, 1919. 1st ed. with this title, 1,100 p., orig. 3/4 lea. binding w/ raised bands, o.n., o/w v.g. Flake-Draper 7892a. Solid copy of this very scarce book. See item 72 for variant binding.
53. (Doctrine and Covenants, Norwegian) NY APENBARING UTDRAG FRA PAKTENS BOK JESU KRISTI KIRKE AV SISTE DAGERS HELLIGE (Latter-day Revelation, Selections from the….) Oslo, 1934. 181 p., brown cloth, rubbing to top and bottom of spine and at corners; front hinge cracked; a few scattered markings. Four editions of this abridged and condensed edition (largely by James E. Talmage) of the D&C were done: English, Danish, Norwegian, and Spanish. All are scarce to one degree or another.
Reg $80, SALE $59.99 SOLD
54. (Doctrine and Covenants, Spanish) REVELACION DE LOS ULTIMOS DIAS, SELECCIONES DEL LIBRO DE . . . . (Latter-day Revelation, Selections from the . . . .) Los Angeles, 1933. 134 p., blue cloth, edges worn, exterior splits on spine, marking, writing on ft. paste-down, good. Reg $60, SALE $47.99
55. Driggs, Howard R. WESTWARD AMERICA. WITH REPRODUCTIONS OF FORTY WATER COLOR PAINTINGS BY WILLIAM H. JACKSON. Philadelphia, 1942. 3rd ed., 312 p., cloth, index, frontis., illus., map endsheets, d.j., rear hinge cracked and mostly separated, d.j. has sig. wear. Inscribed by former University of Utah President Ray Olpin and his wife to former Salt Lake Temple President and Utah legislator Stephen Chipman. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
56. Eborn, Bret A., comp. GUIDE TO MORMON BOOKS. Roy, 2002. 1,176 p. + ads., cloth, d.j., near fine. Price guide and bibliography. Reg $100, SALE $79.99
57. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MORMONISM, VOLS. 1 – 5 (Daniel Ludlow, ed.). New York, 1992. 1st ed., photos, oversize format (11 x 8 ½ inches), Vol. 5 is a Triple Combination. 250 sets were bound in blue leather and placed in a slipcase with a certificate of authenticity. This is set #226. Slipcase is broken along both top edges and has some white paint spattering to it. Each volume has a previous owner’s embossed name stamp inside front cover; minor fading to gilt title on spines and covers of several volumes. Still a desirable set. Reg $2000, SALE $1799.99
58. As above. 4-volume set, cloth. Minor wear and a bump or two, one vol. has had a sticker removed from the ft. cover, overall near v.g.+. This is a nice set of these books which contain a treasure trove of information. Previously belonged to historian Stanley Kimball, who wrote his name on an endsheet of vol. 1. These books contain several “sticky notes” indicating pages where Kimball has underlined a passage or two, made “check mark,” or made other marginal notations. Generally a very desirable set.
59. ENSIGN, SPECIAL TEMPLE ISSUE. Salt Lake, 1972. Vol. 2, No. 1. 96 p., illus., photos, bound in decorative stiff, white covers w/ gilt title and silk endsheets, v.g. Formerly belonged to general authority J. Thomas Fyans; has his name in gilt on the ft. cover. Reg $35, SALE $27.99
60. As above. O.n. and bookplate, o/w v.g. No connection to Fyans. Reg $25, SALE $19.99
61. ENSIGN, IN MEMORIAM: PRESIDENT HAROLD B. LEE 1899-1973. 80 p., illus., photos, bound in decorative stiff, white covers w/ gilt title and silk endsheets, v.g. Formerly belonged to general authority Theodore M. Burton; has his name in gilt on the ft. cover. Reg $40, SALE $31.99
62. Esshom, Frank. PIONEERS AND PROMINENT MEN OF UTAH, COMPRISING PHOTOGRAPHS – GENEALOGIES – BIOGRAPHIES. PIONEERS ARE THOSE MEN AND WOMEN SHOW CAME TO UTAH BY WAGON, HAND CART OR AFOOT, BETWEEN JULY 24, 1847, AND DECEMBER 30, 1868 . . . . Salt Lake, 1966. Reprint. Ltd. ed. (135/1,000), 1,319 p., simulated lea., ports., hinges tender, writing and sm. bookplates on ft. endsheets, o/w v.g. Reg $600, SALE $500
63. Fisher, Vardis. GOD OR CAESAR; THE WRITING OF FICTION FOR BEGINNERS. Caldwell, 1953. 1st ed., 271 p., cloth, index, o.n., last couple of leaves have very minor water staining, d.j., which shows minor wear and water staining. Overall v.g. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
64. Foy, Leslie T. THE CITY BOUNTIFUL: UTAH’S SECOND SETTLEMENT FROM PIONEERS TO PRESENT. Bountiful, 1975. 1st ed., 250 p., cloth, index, photos, ports., maps, d.j., v.g. except both book and d.j. show some fading on spine.
65. (First Presidency—Joseph F. Smith, John R. Winder, and Anthon H. Lund) TYPED LETTER, SIGNED. 11 x 8 ½ inches, First Presidency letterhead, 1902. Written to Stake President James Steele in Iona, Idaho. Regards emphasis on having members hold membership certificates, an unsuccessful attempt by a member to obtain such a certificate, and First Presidency’s encouragement of the stake president to see that the former bishop remedy the situation. Excellent signatures in firm, dark ink. Great letter! Reg $1,500, SALE $1199.99
66. Gove, Jesse A. THE UTAH EXPEDITION 1857-1858. LETTERS OF CAPT. . . . , 10TH INF., U.S.A., OF CONCORD, N.H., TO MRS. GOVE, AND SPECIAL CORRESPONDENCE OF THE NEW YORK HERALD. Concord, 1928. 1st ed., 442 p., cloth, frontis. port., map, spine sl. faded, minor wear at corners, overall near v.g. Flake-Draper 3652. New Hampshire Historical Society Collections, Vol. 12. Important source material.
67. Green, Doyle L. and Randall L. MEET THE MORMONS: A PICTORIAL INTRODUCTION TO THE CHURCH . . . AND ITS PEOPLE. Salt Lake, 1974. 76 p., illus., photos, bound in decorative stiff, white covers with silk endsheets, o.n., bookplate, v.g. Reg $30, SALE $23.99
68. Haddock, Edith P. and Dorothy Hardy Matthews, comps. HISTORY OF BEAR LAKE PIONEERS. Salt Lake, 1968. 1st ed., 922 p., dec. cloth, photos, ports., frontis., map, inscription, covers sl. soiled, o/w v.g.
69. Hafen, LeRoy R. and Ann W., eds. THE UTAH EXPEDITION 1857-1858. A DOCUMENTARY ACCOUNT OF THE UNITED STATES MILITARY MOVEMENT UNDER COLONEL ALBERT SIDNEY JOHNSTON, AND THE RESISTANCE BY BRIGHAM YOUNG AND THE MORMON NAUVOO LEGION. Glendale, 1958. 1st ed., 375 p., cloth, deckled foredge, frontis. port., photos, folding map, very minor ext. rubbing, o/w v.g.+.
70. As above. Glendale, 1982. 2nd prtg., foredges trimmed, near fine. Reg $65, SALE $51.99
71. Hanks, Marion D., Doyle L. Green, and Elaine Cannon, comps. HOW GLORIOUS IS YOUTH: ARTICLES OF INTEREST . . . . Salt Lake, 1968. 1st ed., 233 p., dec. cloth, index, d.j., gift inscription, o/w v.g. Signed by all three authors. Reg $25, SALE $19.99
The following books come from Marion D. Hanks’ (LDS General Authority from 1953-1992) personal library and although not signed, bear his personal blind stamp.Hanks was a mission president in England in the 1960s.
72. (Hanks, Marion D.) THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS, CONTAINING REVELATIONS GIVEN TO JOSEPH SMITH, JR., THE PROPHET, WITH AN INTRODUCTION AND HISTORICAL AND EXEGETICAL NOTES BY HYRUM M. SMITH, OR THE COUNCIL OF THE TWELVE, VOLS 1 and 2. Liverpool, 1919. 1st ed. with this title, two vols., bd. separately, 1,100 p., orig. 3.4 lea. binding w/ raised bands on both books, ft. hinge on vol. 1 is cleanly separated but binding firm with cords; a few scattered pencil markings as well as a number of pages with small black speckles in the margins, and a few torn pages, vol. 2 has the o.n., scattered markings and a few notes inside the rear cover o/w v.g. Flake-Draper 7892a. Solid copies of this very scarce printing. This work is rarely seen for sale and, when it is, it almost always appears in a single vol. w/ a single t.p. Here although the books are paginated continuously, they are bound separately, and vol. 2 has a standard t.p. Bookplate inside front cover of vol. 1 – “Property of Millennial Star Library, rubber stamped – European Mission, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
73. (Hanks, Marion D.) THE MORTAL MESSIAH: FROM BETHLEHEM TO CALVARY, BOOK 1. Salt Lake, 1979. 1st ed., 517 p., orig. full lea. w/ raised bands, gilt dec. and title, and a.e.g., near fine. Has Hanks’ name in gilt on the ft. cover.
74. As above, Book 3. Same binding, ltd. ed. (27/300), also near fine w/ Hanks’ name on the ft. cover.
5. (Hanks, Marion D.) THE PROMISED MESSIAH: THE FIRST COMING OF CHRIST. Salt Lake, 1978. 1st ed., 636 p., orig. full lea. w/ raised bands, a.e.g., and fancy endsheets, index, near fine. Has Hanks’ name in gilt on the ft. cover.
$1000 for set of 3 SOLD
76. (Hanks, Marion D.) QUADRUPLE COMBINATION—HOLY BIBLE; BOOK OF MORMON; DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS; and PEARL OF GREAT PRICE. Bound together in an orig. full-lea. binding w/ raised bands, heavy gilt dec., and a.e.g., very minor wear. This was one of the earliest modern leather books produced by Deseret Book in an edition of probably less than 200 copies. It was not originally for sale to the public and is very scarce. Fairly extensive marking and marginalia by Hanks. Reg $2000, SALE $1599.99
77. (Hanks, Marion D.) TRIPLE COMBINATION—BOOK OF MORMON; DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS; and PEARL OF GREAT PRICE. Bound together in an orig. full-lea. binding w/ gilt decoration and a.e.g., a couple of bent corners, overall v.g.+ in an orig. slip-case that shows minor rubbing which indicates that this work was from the “Heirloom Edition.” Has Hanks’ name in gilt on the ft. cover.
78. Hansen, Klaus J. QUEST FOR EMPIRE: THE POLITICAL KINGDOM OF GOD AND THE COUNCIL OF FIFTY IN MORMON HISTORY. East Lansing, 1970. 2nd prtg., 237 p., cloth, index, near fine in d.j. with minor chipping to edges and slight fading along spine. Classic on Council of Fifty. Reg $85, SALE $67.99
79. As above. 1967. 1st ed. Minor fading to d.j. along spine. Author’s name spelled “Hanson” on d.j.
$80 SOLD (another copy available, inscription, minor fading to d.j. along spine–Reg $80, SALE $63.99)
80. Hart, Newell. HOMETOWN SKETCHBOOK: PRESTON’S MAIN STREET IN TRANSITION. Preston, 1981. 1st ed., 109 p., dec. wrps., illus., very minor wear, v.g.
81. Hartley, William G. MY BEST FOR THE KINGDOM. HISTORY AND AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF JOHN LOWE BUTLER, A MORMON FRONTIERSMAN. Salt Lake, 1993. 1st ed., 511 p., cloth, index, maps, photos, dec. endsheets, v.g. in d.j. w/ sl. faded spine.
$80 SOLD (another copy available, minor soiling, no d.j.–$60)
82. Hatch, Nelle Spilsbury. COLONIA JUAREZ; AN INTIMATE ACCOUNT OF A MORMON VILLAGE. Salt Lake, 1954. 1st ed., 290 p. + maps and photos, cloth, folding map, map endsheets, ft. hinge a bit tender, o.n, rubber-stamp, very minor water staining to lower right corner of a couple of leaves, o/w v.g. Signed and inscribed by the author to her aunt.
Reg $90, SALE $71.99 SOLD
83. Hinckley, Bryant S. DANIEL HAMNER WELLS AND EVENTS OF HIS TIME. Salt Lake, 1942. 1st ed., 444 p., dec. cloth, index, frontis., photos, d.j., v.g.+ in d.j. w/ a few minor chips and tears. A very nice copy!
84. Hughes, Delila Gardner. THE LIFE OF ARCHIBALD GARDNER. Draper, 1970. 2nd ed., 232 p., cloth, index, frontis. port., photos, covers sl. bowed, o/w near fine. Scarce. Reg $125, SALE $99.99
85. Jones, Daniel W. FORTY YEARS AMONG THE INDIANS. A TRUE YET THRILLING NARRATIVE OF THE AUTHOR’S EXPERIENCE AMONG THE NATIVES. Salt Lake, 1997. 400 p., frontis., orig. full lea. binding w/ gilt dec., fine.
Reg $100, SALE $79.99 SOLD
86. Kelly, Charles. SALT DESERT TRAILS: A HISTORY OF THE HASTINGS CUTOFF AND OTHER EARLY TRAILS WHICH CROSSED THE GREAT SALT DESERT SEEKING A SHORTER ROAD TO CALIFORNIA. Salt Lake, 1930. 1st ed., 178 p., port., plates, photos, orig. decorated /embossed cover, map endsheets, o.n., o/w v.g. +. Flake-Draper 4565. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
87. Kimball, Edward L. LENGTHEN YOUR STRIDE: THE PRESIDENCY OF SPENCER W. KIMBALL—WORKING DRAFT. Special ltd. ed., cloth, oversize format, as new in shrink wrp. Limited to 400 copies.This is the complete manuscript (working draft) of the biography published by Deseret Book in 2005 that is more than twice the length of that edited version. It has over 3200 footnotes and an expanded table of contents and index created by the author. This is one of the finest biographies ever written of a prominent LDS Church leader. Reg $200 , SALE $159.99
88. Kimball, Solomon F. LIFE OF DAVID P. KIMBALL AND OTHER SKETCHES. Salt Lake, 1918. 1st ed., 128 p., cloth, frontis., photos, ports., very minor edge wear, v.g. Flake-Draper 4622. Very scarce bio. of one of Heber C. Kimball’s sons.
89. Kimball, Stanley B. HEBER C. KIMBALL, MORMON PATRIARCH AND PIONEER. Urbana, 1981. 1st ed., 343 p., cloth, index, photos, map endsheets, d.j., bookplate, note in pencil on r.f.e.p., o/w v.g.+.
90. Knowles, Eleanor. HOWARD W. HUNTER. Orig. full black lea. binding with raised bands, embossing, and a.e.g., ltd.(350/440), as new in shrink wrp.
91. As above. Orig. dec. navy leatherette, 362 p., index, photos, ports., near fine. This is the Beneficial Life Insurance Co. Special Commemorative Edition, 1994. Reg $125, SALE $99.99
92. Larson, Andrew Karl. I WAS CALLED TO DIXIE. THE VIRGIN RIVER BASIN: UNIQUE EXPERIENCES IN MORMON PIONEERING. Salt Lake, 1961. 1st ed., 681 p., dec. cloth, index, ports., map endsheets, v.g. in d.j. w/ very minor wear. Inscribed, twice, by the author. Reg $30, SALE $23.99
93. Launius, Roger D. & F. Mark McKiernan. JOSEPH SMITH, JR.’S RED BRICK STORE. Macomb, 1985. 1st ed., 87 p., wrps., photos, sl. cocked, spine has sm. tear, near v.g. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
94. Lee, John D. MORMONISM UNVEILED: INCLUDING THE REMARKABLE LIFE AND CONFESSIONS OF THE LATE MORMON BISHOP, . . . AND THE COMPLETE LIFE OF BRIGHAM YOUNG, EMBRACING A HISTORY OF MORMONISM FROM ITS INCEPTION DOWN TO THE PRESENT TIME . . . . ALSO THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE HORRIBLE BUTCHERY KNOWN AS THE MOUNTAIN MEADOWS MASSACRE. St. Louis, 1881. 406 p., dec. cloth, frontis. port., illus., edge wear, corners bumped, good+. Variant of Flake-Draper 4855.
$275 SOLD (another copy available, 1891 printing, marbled edges–Reg $250, SALE $199.99)
95. Little, James A. FROM KIRTLAND TO SALT LAKE CITY. Salt Lake, 1890. 1st ed., 260 p., cloth w/ gilt title, quaint “Springville First Ward Sunday School” rubber stamp, edge wear, esp. at corners, minor rubbing, near v.g. Flake-Draper 4950; Howes L-382. Reg $225, SALE $179.99
96. Longsdorf, Hilda Madsen, comp. MOUNT PLEASANT 1859-1939. Salt Lake, 1939. 1st ed., 338 p., textured cloth, photos, illus., v.g.+. Scarce local Utah history.
97. (Lyman, Richard R.) THE DIVINE RIGHT OF DEMOCRACY, OR THE PEOPLE’S RIGHT TO RULE: A STUDY IN CITIZENSHIP by Clarence True Wilson. New York, 1922. 44 p., cloth, edge wear, esp. at corners, f.f.e.p. detached, ft. hinge cracked, good. Signed by Richard R. Lyman, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles who was excommunicated in 1943 for maintaining a polygamous relationship. He was rebaptized in 1954. Contains writing on the endsheets and interior marking that is probably in Lyman’s hand.
98. Manti Centennial Committee, ed. SONG OF A CENTURY. N.p., 1949. 1st ed., 176 p., embossed cloth, photos, ports., fancy endsheets, hinges tender, three written names, v.g. Uncommon history of Sanpete County. Reg $75, SALE $59.99
99. Maxwell, Neal A. THE PROMISE OF DISCIPLESHIP. Salt Lake, 2001. 145 p., orig. full brown lea. binding with embossing, raised bands, gilt title, fancy endsheets, and a.e.g., ltd. (470/750), index, near fine.
100. McConkie, Bruce R. MORMON DOCTRINE. Salt Lake, 1958. 1st ed. (2nd prtg.) , 776 p., orig. green dec. cloth, d.j., d.j. is tattered, int. is clean. A very nice copy of this important 1st ed. One of the most influential and controversial LDS books ever published. Reg $400, SALE $319.99
101. As above. 1st ed. (1st prtg.), no d.j., sm. bookplate on ft. pastedown, cover shows rubbing and some wear, ft. hinge a bit tender, int. is clean. Reg $300. SALE $239.99
102. McConkie, Joseph Fielding. THE BRUCE R. McCONKIE STORY, REFLECTIONS OF A SON. Salt Lake, 2003. 454 p., cloth, photos, d.j., near fine. Reg $55, SALE $40
103. McConkie, Joseph Fielding. HIS NAME SHALL BE JOSEPH: ANCIENT PROPHECIES OF THE LATTER-DAY SEER. Salt Lake, 1980. 1st ed., 240 p., cloth, d.j., near fine. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
104. As above. minor pencil markings, sl. cocked, o/w v.g. Reg $100, SALE $79.99
105. McIntyre, Myron W. and Noel R. Barton. CHRISTOPHER LAYTON: COLONIZER, STATESMAN, LEADER. Salt Lake, 1966. 1st ed., 438 p., dec. cloth, index, photos, charts, map endsheets, v.g. in d.j. that is chipped and shows some wear. Reg $45, SALE $35.99
106. McKay, David O. GOSPEL IDEALS: SELECTIONS FROM THE DISCOURSES OF . . . , NINTH PRESIDENT OF THE CHURCH. . . . Salt Lake, 1954. 3rd prtg., 598 p., cloth, index, fronts. port., dec. endsheets, ft. hinge cracked, o/w v.g. in d.j. w/ some rubbing, chipping and fading on spine. Inscribed and signed by President McKay.
107. (McLellin, William E.) THE JOURNALS OF . . . 1831-1836 (Jan Shipps and John Welch, eds.). Provo & Urbana, 1994. 1st ed., 520 p., cloth, index, photos, map, charts, d.j., near fine.
108. McMurrin, Sterling M. and L. Jackson Newell. MATTERS OF CONSCIENCE: CONVERSATIONS WITH STERLING M. McMURRIN ON PHILOSOPHY, EDUCATION, AND RELIGION. Salt Lake, 1996. 1st ed., 389 p., cloth, index, frontis., d.j., near fine. Reg $40, SALE $31.99
109. McRae, Joseph A. & Eunice H. HISTORICAL FACTS REGARDING THE LIBERTY AND CARTHAGE JAILS. Salt Lake, 1954. 1st ed., 165 p., cloth, photos, ports., two corners sl. bumped, minor rippling to first few leaves, 2 p. w/ underlining, o.n., near v.g. Reg $125, SALE $99.99
110. As above. Similar condition with other minor, unobtrusive concerns. Reg $125, SALE $99.99
111. (Millard County) 100 YEARS OF HISTORY OF MILLARD COUNTY . . . . (sponsored by D.U.P.). Springville, 1951. 1st ed., 808 p., cloth, photos, ports., moisture rippling throughout (w/ a bit of minor staining), o.n., o/w v.g. Scarce.
112. Miller, David E. HOLE-IN-THE-ROCK: AN EPIC IN THE COLONIZATION OF THE GREAT AMERICAN WEST. Salt Lake, 1959. 1st ed., 229 p., cloth, index, photos, map endsheets, d.j., o.n. (on t.p., d.j., and a couple of leaves) d.j. chipped, torn, and soiled, overall near v.g. D.j. is scarce even in less-than-v.g. cond. Reg $60, SALE $47.99
113. Morgan, John. THE PLAN OF SALVATION. Liverpool, 1921. 26 p., orig. printed brown wrps., very minor wear, v.g.+. Flake-Draper 5508. Excellent copy! Reg $20, SALE $15.99
114. Mortimer, William J., comp. & ed. HOW BEAUTIFUL UPON THE MOUNTAINS: A CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF WASATCH COUNTY. Salt Lake, 1963. 1st ed., 1198 p., dec. cloth, index, photos, ports., very minor soiling, o.n., v.g. Reg $75, $59.99
115. Morton, William A. BOOK OF MORMON READY REFERENCES. FOR THE USE OF STUDENTS AND MISSIONARIES OF THE CHURCH . . . . Salt Lake, 1898. 1st ed., 168 p., orig. full lea. w/ decorative endsheets and gilt title, spine shows wear, ft. hinge cracked, sm. vert. split at spine crown, overall v.g. Flake 5595. Gilt title on front cover bright. Reg $40, SALE $31.99
116. (Nibley, Hugh) BY STUDY AND ALSO BY FAITH, VOLS. 1 & 2. ESSAYS IN HONOR OF . . . ON THE OCCASION OF HIS FIFTIETH BIRTHDAY, 27 MARCH 1990. (John Lundquist and Stephen Ricks, eds.) Provo, 1990. 1st eds., 704 p. + 676 p., cloth, index, frontis., frontis. port., d.js., v.g. Scarce as a set. Very nice. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
117. Nicholson, John. THE MARTYRDOM OF JOSEPH STANDING; OR, THE MURDER OF A “MORMON” MISSIONARY. A TRUE STORY. ALSO AN APPENDIX, GIVING A SUCCINCT DESCRIPTION OF THE UTAH PENITENTIARY AND SOME DATA REGARDING THOSE WHO HAD, UP TO DATE OF THIS PUBLICATION, SUFFERED INCARCERATION THROUGH THE OPERATIONS OF THE ANTI-“MORMON” CRUSADE BEGUN IN 1884. Salt Lake, 1886. 1st ed., 160 p., embossed cloth, type-written title glued to spine, minor edge wear, near v.g. Flake-Draper 5828. Inscription on f.f.e.p. indicates that this book was a gift from “Prest. Smith.”
Reg $125, SALE $99.99 SOLD
118. THE PEARL OF GREAT PRICE; BEING A CHOICE SELECTION FROM THE REVELATIONS, TRANSLATIONS, AND NARRATIONS OF JOSEPH SMITH, FIRST PROPHET, SEER, AND REVELATOR OF THE CHURCH . . . . Salt Lake, 1878. 1st American ed., 71 p., facs., folding fac., o.n. and address, minor ink stains and writing on f.f.e.p., cloth shows some wear, spine mottled and somewhat frayed, folding fac. has minor wear and partial separation at one fold, good. Flake-Draper 6167. Very scarce.
Reg $1500, SALE $1199.99 SOLD
119. Penrose, Charles W. PRIESTHOOD AND PRESIDENCY. CLAIMS OF THE SO-CALLED “REORGANIZED” CHURCH EXAMINED AND COMPARED WITH REASON AND REVELATION. Liverpool, 1909. 2nd ed., 29 p., orig. brown printed wrps., very minor soiling, overall v.g.+ Flake-Draper 6252. Excellent copy.
120. Pratt, Orson. THE BIBLE & POLYGAMY. DOES THE BIBLE SANCTION POLYGAMY? A DISCUSSION BETWEEN PROFESSOR ORSON PRATT, . . . REV. DOCTOR J. P. NEWMAN, . . . IN THE NEW TABERNACLE, SALT LAKE CITY, AUGUST 12, 13, AN 14, 1870. TO WHICH ARE ADDED THREE SERMONS ON THE SAME SUBJECT, BY PREST. GEORGE A. SMITH AND ELDERS ORSON PRATT AND GEORGE Q. CANNON. Salt Lake, 1877. 1st ed., 104 p., string-tied spine, sig. soiling to first few leaves and last leaf, some chipping, near good. Flake-Draper 6491. This is a well-loved copy!
121. Pratt, Orson. THE ORSON PRATT JOURNALS. Elden J. Watson, comp. Salt Lake, 1975. 1st ed., 583 p., cloth, index, frontis. port., very minor highlighting, o/w near fine. Reg $125, SALE $74.99
122. Pratt, Orson. A SERIES OF PAMPHLETS . . . WITH PORTRAIT TO WHICH IS APPENDED A DISCUSSION HELD IN BOLTON, BETWEEN ELDER WILLIAM GIBSON, PRESIDENT OF THE SAINTS IN THE MANCHESTER CONFERENCE, AND THE REV. MR. WOODMAN. ALSO, A DISCUSSION HELD IN FRANCE BETWEEN ELDER JOHN TAYLOR . . . AND THREE REVEREND GENTLEMEN OF DIFFERENT ORDERS . . . . Liverpool, 1851. 1st ed., various paginations, orig. ¾ lea. w/ marbled bds., frontis. port., rear bd. detached, ft. bd. partially detached, some edge wear, lacks most of the Kinderhook folding fac., o.n. (2), good. Flake-Draper 6542; Scallawagiana 100:42. Reg $750, SALE $599.99
123. PRIESTHOOD. Salt Lake, 1981. Ltd. ed. (618/897), orig. full lea. w/ raised bands, gilt title, fancy endsheets and limitation sticker, inscription; small scuffs to leather on front and rear covers, also wear to gilt along top edge.. Contains the writings of various general authorities on the subject of priesthood. Scarce and sought after, full lea. binding. Reg
$200, SALE $159.99 SOLD
124. Proctor, Paul Dea. SILVER, SINNERS & SAINTS: A HISTORY OF OLD SIVER REEF, UTAH. N.p., 1991. 1st ed., 224 p., cloth, index, photos, ports., oversize format, v.g. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
125. Remy, Jules and Julius Brenchley. AN EXCERPT FROM A JOURNEY TO GREAT SALT LAKE CITY IN 1855. Salt Lake, 1984. 35  p., cloth, fancy endsheets, frontis. port., illus. Introduction by Davis Bitton. This is a numbered, ltd. ed. of only 50 copies (42/50), done by the prestigious Red Butte Press (Marriott Library, University of Utah) – the first in a line of highly regarded, fine press books created by them over the years. It was printed on an 1846 Columbian handpress, using handmade paper and marbled endsheets. Prospectus laid in. Jules Remy and Julius Brenchley came to Utah to observe and comment on the Mormons and published their findings and commentary in a two-volume work, first in French, Voyage Au Pays Des Mormons, in 1860, and then in English, A Journey to Great Salt Lake City, in 1861. Davis Bitton notes, “The resulting book was one of the most influential descriptions of the Mormons published in its generation.” Since most buyers of Red Butte Press books tend to hold on to them, especially the more rare, early titles, they are seldom offered for sale. This is a fine copy with the prospectus laid in. Reg $2500, SALE $1999.99
126. Reynolds, George. ARE WE OF ISRAEL? Salt Lake, 1895. 2nd ed., 56 p., dec. cloth, some scuffing to ext., esp. on corners, ft. hinge cracked, o.n. (and address), near v.g. Flake-
Draper 7093. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
127. Rhoades, Gale and Kerry Ross Boren. FOOTPRINTS IN THE WILDERNESS: A HISTORY OF THE LOST RHOADES MINES. Salt Lake, 1971. 1st ed., 247 p., cloth, photos, ports., maps, v.g. Signed by Rhoades. Reg $300, SALE $239.99
128. Rich, Russell R. LAND OF THE SKY-BLUE WATER: A HISTORY OF THE L.D.S. SETTLEMENT OF THE BEAR LAKE VALLEY. Provo, 1963. 1st ed., 213 p., cloth, index, photos, ports., maps, oversize format, o.n. (twice), v.g.+.
129. Richards, Le Grand. A MARVELOUS WORK AND A WONDER. Salt Lake, 1976. 424 p., orig. full brown flexible lea. w/ a.e.g., embossed book-stamp, faded spine, minor, unobtrusive highlighting, o/w v.g.+ Very scarce in this binding. Reg $40, SALE $31.99
130. (Richards, Mary Haskin Parker) WINTER QUARTERS. THE 1846-1848 LIFE WRITINGS OF . . . (Maurine Carr Ward, ed.). Logan, 1996. 1st ed., 336 p., cloth, photos, ports., maps, d.j., near fine. Reg $40, SALE $31.99
131. Ricks, Stephen D. and William J. Hamblin, eds. WARFARE IN THE BOOK OF MORMON. Salt Lake, 1980. 1st ed., 534 p., cloth, index, very minor wear, in d.j. that shows minor soiling and has a tear and very minor chipping.
132. Roberts, B. H. THE “FALLING AWAY:” OR THE WORLD’S LOSS OF THE CHRISTIAN RELIGION AND CHURCH (Radio Addresses). Salt Lake, 1929. Third Series, Nos. 1-16. Bds. sl. bowed, o/w v.g. Flake-Draper 7319. Precedes the regular book edition of 1931. Reg $125, SALE $99.99
133. Roberts, B. H. OUTLINES OF ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY. Salt Lake, 1902. 3rd ed., 426 p., orig. full lea. w/ gilt title, a.e.g., and fancy endsheets, o.n., lea. professionally refreshed, v.g.+. Flake-Draper 7360. Gorgeous copy! Reg $350, SALE $279.99
134. Roberts, B. H. A SCRAP BOOK, VOLS. 1 & 2. (Lynn Pulsipher, comp.). Provo, 1989. 1st ltd. ed. (50/500), 529 + 518 p., cloth, indexes, near fine. Reg $200, SALE $159.99
135. Roberts, B. H. THE TRUTH, THE WAY, THE LIFE, AN ELEMENTARY TREATISE ON THEOLOGY: THE MASTERWORK OF B. H. ROBERTS. Stan Larson, ed. San Francisco, 1994. 1st of this ed., 730 p., cloth, chart, v.g. in lt. worn and spotted d.j. Inscribed to L.D.S. historian Richard Van Wagoner by editor Stan Larson.
136. As above, here entitled EXCERPTS FROM THE TRUTH, THE WAY, THE LIFE. . . . N.p., n.d. Un-paginated, cloth, oversize format, near fine. Possibly fewer than 50 copies in this format were produced. Reg $75, SALE $59.99
137. (Roberts, B. H.) THUNDER CAVE: THE THRILLING ADVENTURES OF GIANT WIGWAH AND THE TWO LITTLE COLORED BOYS, JASPER AND ZEBBIE. TOLD IN TWENTY-ONE FASCINATING EPISODES OF SPARKLING HUMOR AND GRIPPING MYSTERY by Jeremiah Stokes; illustrated by Jack Sears. New York, 1932. 1st ed., 278 p., dec. cloth, illus., illus. endsheets, hinges loose, some edge wear, minor staining to rear bd., name written on top pg. edge, spine a bit mottled, near v.g. Contains a remarkable inscription, signed by both authors, which says, in part: “To our dear friend B. H. Roberts–author, orator, statesman, thinker—a dearly beloved churchman, chaplain. May his life be long extended . . . .” The inscription is dated May 25, 1933. Written on the f.f.e.p. is “Orson R. Schmidt from Pres. B. H. Roberts.” On the ft. pastedown, in pencil, is “Book No. 100.”
138. (Roberts, B. H.) THE UNION SAVINGS AND INVESTMENT COMPANY. SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH. CLASS A STOCK CERTIFICATE. A 19 x 12 inch printed certificate which looks more like a bond that a stock certificate, with fancy green borders, a marvelous beehive vignette, and an embossed gold foil seal. Dated Feb. 4, 1924. Signed by B. H. Roberts as President. Folded, o/w near fine. Printed by Utah Litho. Co. Issued, according to the text of the certificate,: “In consideration of the payment of five dollars per month, as dues, between the first and twenty-fifth days of each month, until one hundred monthly installments of five dollars shall have been paid,” inconsideration for which the company agrees to pay the holder “one thousand dollars at maturity.” Not surprisingly, this arrangement engendered some disagreements between stockholders and company officials, with law suits filed in 1905, 1908, and 1914. Roberts’ involvement in company management is unclear; it appears he may have been involved in name only. His autograph, particularly on a document like this, is quite scarce. A striking and wonderful Mormon-related stock certificate. Rare. Reg $1000, SALE $799.99
139. Romney, Thomas Cottam. THE MORMON COLONIES IN MEXICO. Salt Lake, 1938. 1st ed., 338 p., cloth, index, frontis. port, photos, folding map, v.g. Signed by Junius Romney, president of the Juarez Stake whose port. is included in the book.
$100 SOLD (another copy available)
140. (Sacrament Cup) 4 cm tall, 3.5 cm wide. Stamped “MADE FOR DESERET SUNDAY SCHOOL UNION BY JACOB SCHAUB LOGAN UTAH.” These cups (produced by Swiss convert Jacob Schaub) were the first mass-produced individual sacrament cups. Accompanied by an endorsement from the First Presidency, they were first advertised in 1912.
141. (Salt Lake City) THE MORMON METROPOLIS, AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO . . . CONTAINING ILLUSTRATIONS AND DESCRIPTIONS OF PRINCIPAL PLACES OF INTEREST TO TOURISTS; ALSO USEFUL INFORMATION AND HISTORICAL DATA WITH REGARD TO UTAH AND ITS PEOPLE. Salt Lake, 1893. 68 p. + ads and printed wrps., illus., some chipping on spine, wrps. detached, minor soiling, good+. Flake-Draper 7110.
142. (Salt Lake City) SALT LAKE CITY. ILLUSTRATED IN ALBERTYPE. New York, 1890. Contains approx. twenty-seven 6 x 8 inch photo-prints (nicely done with crisp contrast and excellent detail) and one page of descriptive text, orig. brown cloth w/ string-tied spine, old book seller’s stamp on t.p., o/w v.g. Excellent images.
143. (Salt Lake City) SOUVENIR OF SALT-LAKE. THE CITY OF THE SAINTS. Salt Lake, n. d. Approx. 30 leaves ea. containing a 6 x 7 inch colorized photo, embossed and dec. ft. wrp., string-tied spine, v.g. Reg $80, SALE $63.99
144. Scott, Richard G. FINDING PEACE, HAPPINESS, AND JOY. Salt Lake, 2007. 1st ed., 336 p., orig. full navy blue lea. binding w/ embossing, gilt title, fancy endsheets, and a.e.g., ltd. (440/825), index, near fine. Reg $125, SALE $99.99
145. Shurtleff, Stella Cahoon and Brent Farrington Cahoon. REYNOLDS CAHOON AND HIS STALWART SONS, UTAH PIONEERS. 1st ed., 195 p., cloth, index, photos, ports, folding map, v.g. Inscribed and signed by both authors.
146. (Signature Books) This is a group of four books bound separately in full-leather bindings w/ gilt titles, decorative endsheets, and raised bands, as follows: STATEMENTS OF THE L.D.S. FIRST PRESIDENCY: A TOPICAL COMPENDIUM compiled by Gary James Bergera; THE MORMON CHURCH ON TRIAL: TRANSCRIPTS OF THE REED SMOOT HEARINGS edited by Michael Harold Paulos; “MY CANDID OPINION:” THE SANDWHICH ISLANDS DIARIES OF JOSEPH F. SMITH 1856-1857 edited by Nathaniel R. Ricks; and GOD HAS MADE US A KINGDOM by Vickie Speek. Each in as new cond., except the covers on the third item are substantially bowed. The fourth item comes in a custom-made slip case with a window cut where an embossed image of James Strang appears. This is a wonderful, and very scarce group of limited eds. in beautiful bindings, any one of which is an individual treasure. Each is individually stamped with letter “W” on the rear cover, indicating it is one of 26 “lettered” books in the ltd. series. Rarely offered for sale. Reg $1475, SALE $1179.99 for set
147. (Smith, John Henry) CHURCH, STATE, AND POLITICS: THE DIARIES OF JOHN HENRY SMITH (Jean Bickmore White, ed.). Salt Lake, 1990. 1st ltd. ed. (220/500), 700 p., fancy cloth, index, near fine.
148. (Smith, Joseph) PEPPER-BOX PISTOL. This is a relic pistol about 4 x 9 inches with a wooden handle and etched metal. It is in semi-functional, clean cond. and comes in a custom-made 6 ½ x 9 x 2 ½-inch wooden box w/ an image labeled “Carthage Jail, Illinois” on the top. A plaque inside says: “Allen and Thurber 1837 Pepperbox Pistol. As used by Joseph Smith, Jr.” This is an orig. example of the same type of pistol that Joseph Smith is said to have held when attacked by a mob at Carthage Jail.
149. (Smith, Joseph) TEACHINGS OF THE PROPHET . . . . TAKEN FROM HIS SERMONS AND WRITINGS AS THEY ARE FOUND IN THE DOCUMENTARY HISTORY AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS OF THE CHURCH AND WRITTEN OR PUBLISHED IN THE DAYS OF THE PROPHET’S MINISTRY. . . . Salt Lake, 1976. 437 p., orig. full gray lea. binding w/ embossed dec., raised bands, fancy endsheets, and a.e.g., index, in shrink wrap. This is the Church Employee gift edition from 1991. Reg $200, SOLD $159.99
150. As above. Near fine.
151. Smith, Joseph F. GOSPEL DOCTRINE. SELECTIONS FROM THE SERMONS AND WRITINGS OF . . . , SIXTH PRESIDENT OF THE CHURCH . . . . Salt Lake, 1989. 553 p., orig. full maroon lea. w/ raised bands, embossing, fancy endsheets, a.e.g., index, near fine. This is the Church Employee gift edition from 1990. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
152. As above (in Spanish). DOCTRINA DEL EVANGELIO . . . . Salt Lake, 1978. 546 p., orig. full navy-blue lea. w/ raised bands, embossing, fancy endsheets, and a.e.g., index, near fine. Related printed cards laid in. This is the Church Employee gift edition from 2000. Reg $100, SALE $79.99
153. Smith, Joseph Fielding. DOCTRINES OF SALVATION. SERMONS AND WRITINGS OF . . . , VOLS. 1-3 (Bruce R. McConkie, comp.). Salt Lake, 1954, 1955, and 1956. 1st eds., cloth, frontis. port, index, vol. 1 w/ a few scattered markings, vols. 2 & 3 w/ personal library pockets and cards inside the rear covers, overall v.g. Vol. 1 is inscribed to Calvin (Joseph Fielding’s brother) and merely signed, Joseph. Vols. 2 & 3 are signed by McConkie. Very scarce thus. Reg $300, SALE $239.99
154. Smith, Joseph Fielding. TEACHINGS OF THE PROPHET JOSEPH SMITH. Salt Lake, 1967. 16th prtg., d.j. is chipped and creased. Signed by Smith.
155. Smith, Joseph Fielding. THE WAY TO PERFECTION: SHORT DISCOURSES ON GOSPEL THEMES, DEDICATED TO ALL WHO ARE INTERESTED IN THE REDEMPTION OF THE LIVING AND THE DEAD. Salt Lake, 1946. 6th ed., 364 p., cloth, index, rear hinge cracked, edges worn, esp. corners, some soiling, o.n. (2), good+. Signed by the author; scarce thus. Reg $100, SALE $79.99
156. Smith, Lucy. HISTORY OF THE PROPHET JOSEPH, BY HIS MOTHER . . . AS REVISED BY GEORGE A. SMITH AND ELIAS SMITH. Salt Lake, 1902. 296 p., cloth, ports., covers show some wear, corners bumped, o.n. (several), good. Flake-Draper 8084; Howes S637. Reg $75, SALE $59.99
157. Smith, Pauline Udall. CAPTAIN JEFFERSON HUNT OF THE MORMON BATTALION. Salt Lake, 1958. 1st ed., 308 p., cloth, index, frontis. port., illus., map endsheets, scattered underlining, o/w v.g. in bright d.j. that has minor chips at foot of spine and a larger chip at the rear. Very scarce, particularly in the d.j. Reg $250, SALE $199.99
158. (Snow, Eliza R.) ELIZA R. SNOW, AN IMMORTAL: SELECTED WRITINGS OF . . . . (Nicholas Morgan Foundation, pub.) Salt Lake, 1957. 1st ed., 370 p., cloth, index, frontis. port., illus., folding illus., facs., ex-lib. (Wells Ward) w/ stamps and spine number, d.j. present but flaps are glued to endsheets and d.j. is faded at the spine and worn. A nicer copy of this scarce title than the description would seem to indicate. Reg $125, SALE $99.99
159. Sorensen, Isaac. (Doran J. Baker, et. al. editors) . . . HISTORY OF MENDON: A PIONEER CHRONICLE OF A MORMON SETTLEMENT. Salt Lake, 1988. 1st of this ed., 520 p., cloth, d.j., index, photos, ports., illus, dec. endsheets, near fine. Reg $45, SALE $35.99
160. Sorensen, Virginia. WHERE NOTHING IS LONG AGO; MEMORIES OF A MORMON CHILDHOOD. New York, 1963. 1st ed., 213 p., cloth, d.j., minor fading to d.j. spine, o/w v.g.+. Inscribed and signed by the author. Reg $75, SALE $59.99
161. Spencer, Orson. LETTERS EXHIBITING THE MOST PROMINENT DOCTRINES OF THE CHURCH . . . . Liverpool, 1848. 1st ed. in book form, 244 p., hinges cracked, dampstained, mottled, cocked, o.n. (2), near good. Flake-Draper 8326. Wonderful (in its own way), “well-loved” copy of this monumentally important Mormon missionary work; any Mormon books from the 1840s are rare. Prior to this edition the letters were published individually and are exceedingly scarce. Reg $950, SALE $759.99
162. As above. Salt Lake, 1891. 6th ed., 232 p., Full black leather. Gilt line along borders of front and rear covers; gilt title and double lines along spine; top of spine chipped; small bump to right edge of front cover; name inside front cover, o/w v.g. Flake-Draper 8332. Reg $200, SALE $159.99
163. As above. orig. maroon smooth lea., spine faded, very minor edge wear, overall v.g. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
164. Stout, Wayne. HOSEA STOUT: UTAH’S PIONEER STATESMAN. Salt Lake, 1953. 1st ed., 304 p., orig. cloth, index, ports., chart, sl. cocked, inscription, covers sl. worn, near v.g. Signed by the author.
165. Strang, James J. THE BOOK OF THE LAW OF THE LORD CONSISTING OF AN INSPIRED TRANSLATION OF SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT PARTS OF THE LAW GIVEN TO MOSES, AND A VERY FEW ADDITIONAL COMMANDMENTS, WITH NOTES AND REFERENCES. Burlington, 1948. 336 p., near fine. Flake 8498. Nice reprint ed.
166. Strang, James J. THE PROPHETIC CONTROVERSY. Mount Pleasant, 1969. 59 p., cloth, frontis. port., scatter marking, overall v.g. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
167. Stanley, Reva. THE ARCHER OF PARADISE: A BIOGRAPHY OF PARLEY P. PRATT. Caldwell, 1937. 1st ed., 349 p., dec. cloth, index, frontis. port., photos, ports., d.j., sl. cocked, minor dampstaining on rear cover and the last few leaves, d.j. is worn and soiled. Scarce title in d.j. Reg $95, SALE $75.99
168. Stansbury, Howard. EXPLORATION AND SURVEY OF THE VALLEY OF THE GREAT SALT LAKE OF UTAH, INCLUDING A RECONNOISSANCE OF A NEW ROUTE THROUGH THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS together with the orig. map vol. Philadelphia, 1852. 1st ed., 487 p., orig. cloth, frontis., illus., folding illus., maps, spine a bit sunned and frayed at crowns, a bit of foxing, near v.g. Flake-Draper8358; Graff 3947; Howes S 884; Mintz 433; Scallawagiana 100: 45; Wagner-Camp 219:1. This is a pleasing copy of the tremendously important work on the Mormons and the American West. Reg $750, SALE $599.99
169. Stringham, Ida Watt and Dora Dutson Flack. ENGLAND’S FIRST “MORMON” CONVERT: THE BIOGRAPHY OF GEORGE DARLING WATT. N.p., n.d. 245 p., cloth, frontis. port., photos, v.g. Rare. Reg $350, SALE $279.99
170. Talmage, James E. THE GREAT APOSTASY CONSIDERED IN THE LIGHT OF SCRIPTURAL AND SECULAR HISTORY. Salt Lake, 1909. 1st ed. (2nd prtg.), 176 p., cloth, index, o.n., very minor edge wear, spine very sl. faded, v.g. Flake-Draper 8619.
$80 SOLD (another copy available, minor staining to rear cover, o.n. & inscription on f.f.e.p., few pgs. w/ pen marking, Reg $75, SALE $59.99
171. Talmage, James E. THE HOUSE OF THE LORD: A STUDY OF HOLY SANCTUARIES ANCIENT AND MODERN; INCLUDING FORTY-SIX PLATES ILLUSTRATIVE OF MODERN TEMPLES. Salt Lake, 1912. 1st ed., 238 p. + plates and index, dec. cloth, fancy endsheets, edge wear, bookplate, dampstaining along bottom edge, front hinge cleanly cracked, a few sigs. loose, overall good+. Flake-Draper 8637. This is a nicer copy than the description seems to indicate of this, one of the most important of all Mormon books which was commissioned in response to an effort by Max Florence to extort $100,000 from the Church for 68 photographs secretly taken inside the Salt Lake Temple. Instead of paying the ransom the Church had Apostle Talmage write this book and C. R. Savage take photos of the temple that appear here as an appendix.
172. Tanner, J. M. A BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF JAMES JENSEN. Salt Lake, 1911. 1st ed., 190 p., cloth, frontis. fancy endsheets, port., photos, ports., sl. cocked, o/w v.g. Flake-Draper 8780. Jensen was a handcart pioneer. Reg $110, SALE $87.99
173. (Taylor, John) THE JOHN TAYLOR PAPERS: RECORDS OF THE LAST UTAH PIONEER, VOLS. 1 and 2 by Samuel W. and Raymond W. Taylor. Redwood City, 1984 and 1985. 1st.eds., 363 p. + 553 p., cloth, indexes, d.js., near fine. Reg $200, SALE $159.99
174. Thompson, Anita. STAND AS A WITNESS: THE BIOGRAPHY OF ARDETH GREENE KAPP. Salt Lake, 2005. 1st ed., 389 p., orig. dark green full lea. binding w/ embossing, raised bands, gilt title, fancy endsheets, and a.e.g., ltd. (34/90), index, near fine. Reg $150, SALE $119.99
175. Tracy, Shannon M. IN SEARCH OF JOSEPH. Orem, 1995. 1st ed., 115 p., embossed cloth, illus., photos, ports., d.j., oversize format, v.g. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
176. Tullidge, Edward W. LIFE OF BRIGHAM YOUNG; OR, UTAH AND HER FOUNDERS bound with SUPPLEMENTARY BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. New York, 1877. 2nd ed., 458 + 108 pp., frontis. port. (engraved plate w/ tissue guard), cloth, hinges cracked, ext. worn, endsheets show soiling and writing, binding cocked, text shows some water-rippling and a bit of foxing, good. Flake-Draper 9042; Howes T410. This is a more acceptable copy than the description seems to indicate. Reg $200, SALE $159.99
177. Tullidge, Edward W. THE WOMEN OF MORMONDOM. New York, 1877. 1st ed., 552 p., dec. cloth, frontis. port., hinges cracked, edge wear, esp. at. corners, cover shows some staining and mottling, spine frayed, good. Flake-Draper 9046. Reg $325, SALE $259.99
178. Wadsworth, Nelson B. SET IN STONE, FIXED IN GLASS: THE GREAT MORMON TEMPLE AND ITS PHOTOGRAPHERS. Salt Lake, 1992. 388 p., index, cloth, photos, d.j., a few leaves had bumped corner, d.j. shows some wear and minor moisture stains, very sl. cocked, overall v.g. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
179. Ward, Maria. FEMALE LIFE AMONG THE MORMONS: A NARRATIVE OF MANY YEARS’ PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. BY THE WIFE OF A MORMON ELDER, RECENTLY FROM UTAH. Philadelphia, n.d. (c1858). 449 p. + ads., cloth, frontis., illus., edge wear, esp. on spine which also has minor chipping at crown and more significant chipping at foot, spotting on first few leaves, fairly minor dampstaining, overall good. See Flake-Draper 9576. This printing is apparently not listed in Flake.
180. Warnock, Irvin L., comp. THRU THE YEARS: SEVIER COUNTY CENTENNIAL HISTORY. Springville, 1947. 1st ed., 469 p., cloth, photos, ports., map endsheets, binding cocked, minor edge wear, o/w v.g. Scarce. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
181. Welch John W. and Erick B. Carlson, eds. OPENING THE HEAVENS: ACCOUNTS OF DIVINE MANIFESTATIONS, 1820-1844. Salt Lake, 2005. 1st ed., 500 p., cloth, index, photos, d.j., near fine w/ bookplate containing Welch’s signature (among others).
$45 SOLD (another copy available w/o bookplate–Reg $45, SALE $35.99)
182. Whiting, Eloise U., comp. MORMONISM – THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS 1873-1973: A HISTORY OF THE CHURCH . . . IN CENTRAL VIRGINIA. Richmond, 1987. 1st ed., 608 p., cloth, map endsheet, photos, ports, inscription, o/w v.g.+. Reg $50, SALE $39.99
183. Whitney, Orson F. ELIAS, AN EPIC OF THE AGES. New York, 1904. 1st ed., 162 p., illus. plates w/ tissue guards, deckled edges, corners bumped, spine shows sl. wear, inscription, v.g. Flake-Draper 9762. Scarce in this printing.
Reg $75, SALE $59.99 SOLD
184. Whitney, Orson F. LIFE OF HEBER C. KIMBALL, AN APOSTLE; THE FATHER AND FOUNDER OF THE BRITISH MISSION. Salt Lake, 1888. 1st ed., 520 p. + errata, frontis port., ports., re-bound, ex-lib. (w/ lib. binding, perforated stamp on t.p., bookplate, spine number), one leaf loose, lacks plate of Vilate, good. Flake-Draper 9772. Reg $85, SALE $67.99
185. Widtsoe, John A. IN THE GOSPEL NET: THE STORY OF ANNA KARINE GAARDEN WIDTSOE. Salt Lake, 1943. 7th ed., 141 p., cloth, frontis port., photos, fading to spine and top of ft. cover, o/w v.g. Signed by the author.
186. Widtsoe, John A. IN A SUNLIT LAND; THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF . . . . Salt Lake, 1952. 1st ed., 261 p., dec. cloth, photos, ports., d.j. (minor wear), v.g.+. Very nice copy! Reg $35, SALE $27.99
187. Wilcox, Pearl. REGATHERING OF THE SCATTERED SAINTS IN WISCONSIN AND ILLINOIS. Independence, 1984. 1st ed., 327 p., cloth, photos, ports, d.j., v.g. Uncommon.
188. Wilson, Elijah Nicholas. AMONG THE SHOSHONES. Medford, 1971. 1st of this ed., 222 p., cloth, frontis., photos, v.g. in d.j. that shows some rubbing and fading. Facsimile reprint of the rare 1st ed./1st prtg. of this title which includes controversial material removed from later printings. Reg $100, SALE $79.99
189. (Winder, John) MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE dated in 1894. 8 x 10 inch fancy form printed by the Salt Lake Litho Co. for use in the “Territory of Utah.” Minor holes in the top margin, margins may be sl. trimmed, o/w v.g. Beautiful form! Winder was a member of the Church’s First Presidency. Reg $100, SALE $79.99
190. (Woodruff, Wilford) TYPED LETTER, SIGNED. Salt Lake, 1897. 11 x 8 ½ inch First Presidency Box B letterhead. Folded, o/w v.g.+. This letter is written to George Dow, Warden at the State Prison, and the Board of Corrections. In it Woodruff recommends Dr. L. W. Snow to serve as prison physician. The Church President notes that he is intimately acquainted with Snow and believes Snow “would give entire satisfaction if appointed.” A cover addressed to the “State Board of Corrections” accompanies the letter. Woodruff’s autograph is quite scarce and has become increasingly difficult to locate. This letter has been priced to sell.
Reg $2950, SALE $2599.99 SOLD
191. (Young, Brigham) COMPLETE DISCOURSES OF BRIGHAM YOUNG compiled by Richard Van Wagoner. 5-volume set. Salt Lake, 2009. Full black leather with raised bands, gilt title on spine, and decorative endsheets. Limited to 26 lettered sets, of which 16 were made available for sale. Now out of print. This series makes available every known published and previously unpublished sermon (discourse, speech, or public teaching) of Brigham Young, second president of the LDS Church. The texts are drawn from various manuscript collections at LDS Church Archives: Brigham Young Addresses, Brigham Young Minutes, Brigham Young Diaries, Brigham Young Office and Secretary Journals, Thomas Bullock Minutes, Willard Richards Diary, John D. Lee Journals, and Heber C. Kimball Journals, as well as from the “History of Brigham Young,” “Journal History of the Church,” Deseret News, History of the Church, Journal of Discourses, and Millennial Star. The series includes an introduction and index. $1,450
192. Young, Erla. BETSY BUTTONS. Salt Lake, 1947. 1st ed., abt. 26 p., orig. dec. paper covers, illus., fancy endsheets, covers soiled, o.n. (2), spine paper torn and chipped, good. Very scarce child’s story of the pioneers crossing the plains.
Reg $40, SALE $31.99 SOLD